Getting Ready for the Holiday Season
With dinners to plan, gifts to get, extended family functions, and steadfast traditions, the holidays can be stressful for anyone. For individuals with special sensory needs, the disruptions to routine and overwhelming social pressures are a lot to deal with – this can make the holidays particularly difficult for families to navigate.
But, with a little bit of planning and preparation, you can help to make sure the holiday season is enjoyable for everyone!
Here are some of our favourite strategies for helping individuals with Autism and other developmental disabilities avoid anxiety and stress during the holiday season:
- Visual aids are always incredibly helpful in creating a social story that you can share with your loved one leading up to the holidays.
- Wall calendars are a handy tool. Use them to mark important dates like family events and outings.
- Advent Calendars are fun for all kids and are definitely a great sensory-friendly activity. Lego calendars are a great alternative to chocolate!
- Think about some activities that your child will enjoy. During the holidays, activities like building gingerbread houses, making and decorating Christmas sugar cookies, and making homemade decorations are all super fun ways to keep the kiddos engaged.
- Have your child's favourite sensory aids easily accessible to help with managing their anxiety and stress during times that may be a bit overwhelming.
- Consider hosting the holidays in your own domain, where your child is familiar with the surroundings, and has access to their room if they need to get away from the action.
- Set up a sensory-friendly movie room and put on your favourite Christmas movie.
Sensory-Friendly Christmas Events in Edmonton
If you do have some down-time over the next few weeks, here are a few sensory-friendly holiday events you can enjoy in Edmonton:
Our Christmas Hours
The team at Entrust wishes everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
- December 22nd 9 am-12 pm
- December 24th open from 9 am-12 pm
- December 25th closed
- December 26th 9 am-12 pm
- December 27th and 30th 9 am-5 pm
- December 31st 9 am-12 pm
- January 1st closed
- January 2nd regular business hours resume